Thursday, September 15, 2011

Neverwhere by Neil Gamain

As soon as I started this book, I was immediately impressed by what a master storyteller is Gamain. His voice and the manner with which he writes reminded me immediately of one of my all-time favorite authors, Roald Dahl. (James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, and The BFG are still some of my fave books). But this is far from being a childrens book.  It is definitely reading for adults but it has something of that tone which I loved in Dahl's books as a child. The way I can see the characters, and notice their quirks and ticks, and hear their voices.

From the protagonist, Richard Mayhew, to the two 'bad guys', Croup and Van der Mar, I was entirely entertained.  I felt as though I was a kid again, devouring this story with these characters who live in the 'real world' but discover that there is the 'fantastical' world within. In the case of Neverwhere, it is London below, a place where the 'people who fall through the cracks' end up- a magical, dangerous place full of colorful, funny, interesting characters.
Neil Gamain has quite an imagination and I found Neverwhere to be a wonderful story told by a master storyteller. I can not wait to read more of what he's written. This was not a book that I couldn't put down. I could. I wasn't dying to see what happens. It was more that I missed the characters and I wanted to pick up the book and read so that I could catch up with them. It was as though they weren't just there contained in that paperback- simply a gathering of words put together, telling me a story-but actually alive somewhere in London Below and through this book I had something of a direct line to them and their adventure. I sort of wish I could go back there.
I guess I'll have to pick up American Gods. It's next on my list of Neil Gamain books to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment